Sunday, August 23, 2009

Wait...ME? Running?

I have been wanting to try a 5k for a while now. Runner just seem so cool to me (and healthy!). But up until now, I have made too many excuses for what not to try. Well, I mentioned it to Matthew today...and BOOM! We are signing up for a 5k in Olde Towne Manassas on October 24 and started the Couch 2 5K program today! This evening after dinner, M asked if I was ready to go, and I was like, "Go where?" How quickly had I forgotten about our grand plan to start running!

So for the first week of the program on three days you do a brisk 5 minute walk, then 60 seconds jogging followed by 60 seconds walking, repeating the intervals for 20 minutes. O M G. I was so tired after the first 10 minutes! I didn't realize how out of shape I am, or how sweaty I would get, or how the inclines on our streets would feel like Mount Everest.

Matthew was very supportive, and did not criticize my funny running style, complain about my very loud breathing (more like huffing and puffing), and did all the counting for me. He even said Hi to all the neighbors we passed. I, on the other hand, complained, noticed his breathing and tried to pretend the neighbors could not see me making a fool of myself. Good times.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

0 comments: